Sunday 19 August 2012

DIY: Acid Wash

Soooo, I had a few denim items that I don't really wear anymore. They're the kind of denim which is a heavy blocked blue sort of denim if that makes sense, and I just don't rate that sort of denim really.

I wish I had filmed or taken picture of the process but I didn't as I hadn't thought of doing a blog at that point, but I will next time.

This time I will just have to explain my process. So I had one pair of shorts, a dress and two pairs of jeans, all denim obviously. The first thing I did was cut off the bottom of the jeans to make them into shorts, so I ended up with three pairs of shorts and a dress.

Things you need for acid washing:  Your denim garment
                                                     Thin bleach
                                                     Water
                                                     Spray bottle

So these were my steps in acid washing the denim;

1. Lay down black bags on the surface. In my case it was outside on the patio as the bleach will majorly stink your house out. And I'm not joking, it stinks like a toilet!

2. I dampened the clothes that I wanted to acid wash and then laid them out on the black bags.

3. I then poured some of the thin bleach (which was 29p at Tesco bargain!) into a spray bottle and sprayed both sides of my garments making sure that they were well and evenly covered as this was the effect that I wanted.

4. After the first 'coat' of bleach I sprayed another on as they colour wasn't turning at all.

5. I waited an hour, constantly checking them at about 20 minute intervals.

6. They weren't turning white as much as I wanted so instead of spray the bleach on, which I think was too thin a layer, I used a fairy liquid bottle and squirted it on. This worked much better and the colour drained from the material very quickly.

7. I waited about 20 minutes longer and then people say on YouTube to wash them on a cold was but for some reason my washing machine doesn't have that. So instead I put them in for a rinse and spin.

8. And now they are outside drying!

The colour on the dress is absolutely awesome, it couldn't have gone better. The pair of shorts that were already shorts were quite light to start with but they have come out pretty well too. I'll post a link to a picture of the dress so I'll let you know that the dress was quite a dark blue.

However, I don't think that this method of acid washing works on all denim as the jeans that I cut into shorts did not work very well. The bleach had near enough no effect on them. But I'm not too worried about them because they're not unwearable and the two pairs of jeans were 50p each from a car boot sale a few weeks ago.

All in all this method of customising my clothes was a success as now I have an awesome new dress and a pair shorts to wear! This effect was extremely cheap to create as I already had the clothes and used old cleaner and fairy liquid bottles as applicators. The only thing I paid for was the bleach which was a whopping 29p!!

Here is a picture of my dress after the acid wash http://instagram.com/p/OhYON7SsjS

Please let me know if you decide to try this and make sure to post some pictures if you can!

Sam x

No comments:

Post a Comment