Tuesday 21 August 2012

DIY: Skull Cut Out T-shirt

Hi all!

I was looking through my wardrobe yesterday and realised that I have a few, quite boxy t-shirts that I don't wear a lot because... well, they're boxy. Soooo, I was also looking on the urban outfitters website (the US one, even though I'm from the UK) and saw this http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=24004178

I thought it looked pretty cool but it's $39 which is about £24 and I wouldn't pay that for something that is so easy to make.

I looked at the top and it's just a regular t-shirt shape with capped sleeves and a wider neck line so this is what I did.

Things you will need:   A t-shirt (I used a mens t-shirt which worked really well)
                                  Tailors chalk or pencil
                                  Scissors
                                  Sewing machine


So this is the t-shirt before I did anything to it. As you can see it's just a regular man's t-shirt, nothing special, nothing fancy.



 Here is a close up of the sleeve before I cut it.




1. So what I did was cut a piece off the end of the sleeve. However I made sure that the piece I cut off was narrower at the bottom and wider at the top so that it would sit correctly on my shoulder. I basically cut in a straight line up. I then did the same to the other side.





2. The next step was to hem the arm holes. I decided I wanted them to look like turn ups so I hemmed on the outside rather than the inside. All I did was roll it over twice and did a straight stitch along the outer edge.


3. Sorry for having no picture for this part. I then took to the neck line! If you look at your t-shirt it already has the hem on the neckline and all I did was cut this hem out as close to it as I could. This makes the neckline wider and then I hemmed this myself. To do this I rolled the edge over twice towards the inside of the shirt unlike the sleeves where I rolled them the other way. I then did a straight stitch all the way around.



So this was the result of those steps (sorry about my dog in picture, she wouldn't move).

As you can see the edges are neater than the raw edges before I hemmed them. The neck line is wider and the sleeves are shorter.






4. So then you need to lay your t-shirt out flat so that you are looking at the back of it. You then need to draw with tailors chalk or a pencil the skull that you want to cut out. This part is easy but takes a bit of time. You can see on mine that in the eyes I have drawn a line in them so that they aren't just massive holes.




5. The next stage is to cut! So this is the back of the shirt after I cut out everything. I chose to use a cutting mat and the cutter that you see in this photo as I had it and it was easier. But you can do it just as easily with scissors. And now your new t-shirt is complete! Well done!




And this is my finished t-shirt from the back. This was so easy to do and I think it looks really good and doesn't look too DIY because it's supposed to have those raw edges.

It's also really easy when it comes to the sewing parts so if you're a beginner at sewing then this is perfect for practising. However, if you're happy with the neck and sleeves on your t-shirt then you don't need to do those steps.

The best thing of all was that it was totally free!

Please comment with your pictures if you decide to give this a go!

Sam x

No comments:

Post a Comment