Tuesday 18 September 2012

DIY: Bedroom Bunting

Hello readers!

Today I have another DIY project for you. I've loved bunting for ages but can never seem to find one that I like at a price that I like as well. So, I thought about it and thought, well actually bunting would be super easy to make. So I did! And here is the tutorial for you!

Things you will need: Pinking sheers
                                Off cuts of fabric
                                Needle and thread or sewing machine
                                Ribbon

Step 1.

The first step is deciding how big you want your triangles for the bunting and to then make a template. I decided I want my triangle to be 6 inches wide. I measured 6 inches on a piece of paper and then made a mark at the mid point another 6 inches below. I then just drew the other two lines down to that point to create the triangle. I then cut the template out.








Step 2.

I then used the template to draw and cut around on my off cuts of fabric. I used seven different fabrics and cut out a total of 28 triangles. However, it turned out I didn't need as many as that, but I will explain that a bit later.

I also used pinking sheers to make the zig zagged edge. This is for two reasons, the first being that it looks good and the second being that it keeps the triangles from fraying without having to hem the edges, which means limited sewing.








Step 3.

The next step is to get your ribbon and cut it to the size that you would like your bunting to be. I got a length of 3 metres but in the end I needed more because I ended up only using half of my triangles. You also have to make sure the ribbon is fairly sturdy and somewhat wide so that it will hang correctly.










Step 4.

I then pinned the triangles to the ribbon at 2 inches apart so I ended up using only 14 triangles. I took the pins out as I sewed along the ribbon. You must make sure the right side of the ribbon is facing down and that the right side of the material is facing down as well so that when you turn it around you cannot see the raw edge of the top of the triangle.











Step 5. 

The last step is to sew along the tops of the triangles. You can either hand sew this is you aren't used to using a machine or you can use a sewing machine as it will be quicker and probably neater.













This is a really easy sewing project so it would be a good project to practise your machine skills. This project was also quite cheap compared to buying bunting in the shops and I could also use fabric that I liked in particular. The offcuts of fabric were £1 in a packet that I got from a car boot sale and the ribbon was £2.37. And it was fun!

Please let me know if you decide to do this project :D


No comments:

Post a Comment